Originally wooden chapel arisen in 1585 as a part of a new cemetery. Because of the estate insurrection in 1618 the construction of a new chapel was postponed until 1717 when the construction again commenced on. At this time the chapel was used as a sanctuary by people staying in a Jesuit┤s hospice that was built closely.
Interior of the chapel comes from the second half of 18th century. The main alter is a masterpiece of Josef Muck, a sculptor from Cesky Krumlov, and painters Josef Putz and Christoph Anneis. A painter and carver Anton Leyer created a Rococo pulpit. Side altars were devoted to St. Johann Nepomucensis and to St. Anna. At the end of 19th century the cemetery was closed down and 20 years later became a Town park.
It is a one-nave oblong building with a three-sided presbytery and an axial eastern sacristy. The flat ceiling has two stucco mirrors. On the path leading to the chapel lay nine granite and entirely foot worn gravestones from 18th century.
Today the chapel is used as a seat of the Czech Hussitic Church Chorus. Spiritual concerts are organized there occasionally.
You can find the chapel in the Town Park in Cesky Krumlov.
The main sights of Cesky Krumlov in short:
- Cesky Krumlov State Castle
- St. Martin Chapel
- St. Vitus Church
- Chapel on the Mountain of the Cross
- St. Jost Church
- Brewery Eggenberg
- Egon Schiele Art Museum
- Czech Ceramic Design Agency
- Wax Museum
- Town Theatre Cesky Krumlov
- Regional Museum in Cesky Krumlov
- Puppet Museum
- Museum of Torture instruments
- Marionette Museum
- Gallery Doxa
- Museum photo studio Seidl